Whether you have a plan or not, communication happens! If you want your communication to be effective, a communication plan should be an integral part of your total district plan. Every issue that a district faces includes an element of communication. The communication plan is a detailed account of messages, audiences, communication media, a timeline, and persons responsible.
A communication plan should
- focus on the communication activities that you will complete during a specific time period
- identify the main messages
- identify the audiences to whom you will tell your message
- detail how you will use many communication outlets to tell your story
- identify the types of questions you will face
- develop consistent, truthful answers
Plan your efforts well and it is certain that you will become a better communicator. For practical suggestions on communication planning, visit our Members’ Only section.